Sunday, June 3, 2012

DIY Egg Sequence Puzzle


Z is 2 years 10 months old

I was browsing on Pinterest the other day when I came across this simple yet beautiful puzzle on windmill.net.au



It immediately caught my fancy and I love that it is a bit challenging since there are 2 things to sort by size, the egg and the egg cup. Since it would be too expensive for me to buy, I tried making one for Z.  Here's my DIY version -

The cardboard came out of a used box. I drew the eggcups freehand. For the pieces to fit in perfectly, I knew I had to cut them out directly from the inset frame. This was a very slow and long process.





Stuck the inset frame onto another piece of cardboard




 2 coats of acrylic paint


Decided to add 'knobs' so that it would be easier for Z to handle. I tried push pins but the pointy bits were poking out from behind the pieces so I settled for some cylindrical beads


Traced around the 'knobs' on the cardboard pieces and cut a hole through only the top layer of the cardboard so that the knobs would get a hold. Used a glue gun in the hole and around the knobs at the base. Modpodged all the pieces once the glue was cold. I decided to add black dots at the base of the egg cups so that Z wouldn't get confused as to their orientation.


Here's the finished piece! Tried trimming off some overhang at the top of the egg in the yellow cup but ended up cutting a small chunk . Darn!




The puzzle was slightly challenging for Z, but she did enjoy herself. 




Linking up with:

For the Kids Friday












No comments:

Post a Comment